About PIB Guwahati
Location Map | Contact Address
Home | Feedback
North East Mirror
May 2006
April 2006
Past Issues
Features
Empowering Women-Folk
Employment at Home
More Features
Photographs
Photo Feature
Archive
Press Release
Feature
Photographs
Press Invitation
Press Invitation
Related Websites
PIB New Delhi
PIB Aizawl
PIB Chennai
PIB Kolkata
PIB Thruvananthapuram
Press Council of India
Registrar of Newspapers
GOI Websites Directory
DIPR Assam
Assam Assembly
Assam Government
Gauhati High Court

Press Release

FUNDS TO ASSAM UNDER RAJIV GANDHI NATIONAL DRINKING WATER MISSION RELEASED

An amount of Rs 2092.37 lakh has been sanctioned by Government of India to the Assam Government as grants-in-aid towards 2nd installment of funds against the total allocation of Rs 4184.75 lakh under the Centrally Sponsored Accelerated Rural Water Supply Programme of the Rajiv Gandhi National Drinking Water Mission. This sanction is as per Prime Minister's announcement made on August 15, 2002 for installation of (i) One lakh hand-pumps in water scare rural areas, (ii) One lakh primary schools in rural areas will be provided with drinking water facilities; and (iii) Revival of one lakh traditional sources of drinking water supply.

Of the amount sanctioned, Rs 957.63 lakhs is for providing 6124 hand pumps, Rs 719.29 lakhs is for providing drinking water facilities is 5328 primary schools, and Rs 415.45 lakh is for revival of 6054 traditional sources.

The amount sanctioned is 90% of the cost of the scheme while the remaining 10% is to be borne by the community/panchayats as stipulated in the guidelines for execution/completion of schemes to provide safe drinking water facilities to rural habitations.